Wally retired over 20 years ago

We recently discovered an old copy of the Denby news sheet we used to publish.It was dated March 1992.  In this edition there is a very interesting article by Wally Morgan who retired on 10 November 1991. I saw Wally recently when he reminded me that he had been retired for over 21 years. You might be interested to read his reflections from the time.


"So the day finally arrived 10 November 1991. The day I retired from work. Sixty five years old and still not made my fortune. Heavan knows I have been trying for fifty years. Let me take you back to those first years of work which started in January 1941. The war had been going on for just over a year and things looked pretty glum. My first job was as a van boy on the Cooperative laundry at the princely sum of five shillings a week, thats 25 pence in todays terms. It was in June 1941 that i bought my first bicycle 2 and 6 down and 1 shilling a week for 24 months. The bike was £3, 19, 11, thats nearly £2 marvellous days!!

Lets get on a bit, the next job I got was when i was sixteen years old. I left the Coop and I got a job at the London City Electric Co of JV Stone who did the electrics for the New Cold Store building on Skellingthorpe Road in Lincoln. After the job finished they asked me to travle with them to Ipswich where they were to build another but my parents refused to let me go being too young.  I then got a job at Roberts Transport on Mill Road. Never had a lesson and got into an old Morris T Leader 4 Tonner and progressed to a Reo Speedwagon which was a Canadian truck, All loads then was with a shovel in your hand both on and off. In 1943 when i started driving my wage as £2.17.6 for about 50 hours work - no overtime then. When you emptied a wagon load of coke off the Holmes yard and took it off at the Barracks on Burton Road believe me you were knackered, but i was youn and eager just because I was a lorry driver. By God how I wish I had never really started - always the last one home in our house and always skint.

Well then it was my turn to be called up but not in the forces, no I was drafted into the mines as a Bevin boy.After I had done my stint down the pits I came home and got a job at Roberts transport again which was eventually sold to JJ Mc Keigh of Grimsby. We did a lot of work for the MOD which had an office at Fred Hunts in the High Street near St Botolphs. Later it was transferred to South Common on Cross O Cliffe Hill. I was there for a couple of years or more but then I got a job at Lincs Road Car with our old mate Burt Townhill (God bless him!). and then I did what comes naturally I got married in November 1949 then i left and went to work for BRS funnily enough at Denbys yard on the Brayford. There i stayed until they were de nationalised in November 1954 when I joined DMT until 1961 being on work at Clayton Dewandre on a contract.

My next job was with Parsons coal where I stayed until I joined denbys in November 1974 and where i stayed until I finished my life long work. I enjoyed my time at Denbys and pleased to say I have good memories of you all. As for retirement - I can recommend it. You get up when you like and do what you like. As long as I and my wife Phyllis enjoy good health I can see no problem at all. We dont owe nowt and if we want to go out anywhere we just go. We saved alittle nest egg which I hope we will be able to enjoy after a life time of work and of course being a lorry driver most of my life you are never at home in the week so its nice to be with my wife and watch the grand children grow up. I am lucky I suppose nowadays having two good son in laws and eight grand kids. So dont worry lads being retired up to now is very good and my bit of part time helpds a lot. Thanks to the firm.

I intend to do a bit of fishing and golfing and what with the house work the garden and the shed I wonder sometimes how I found time to go to work at all


Good luck to you all. Happy driving! Wally.




There are no comments for this blog yet.

Add a comment

Notify me of follow-up comments?